Sunday, September 29, 2013

Introductions & Miss America

Hello everyone!

This week, I started this blog for the my Middle School students in Daejeon.  Throughout the semester, we will be practicing our English by responding to topics relevant in the broader contemporary world.  Our first topic was the recent reaction to the winner of the Miss America pageant, Nina Davuluri.  The students responded to this fictional post, and their comments will soon be posted:

“The online world was in uproar this week, and all because of one name: Nina Davuluri.  Ms. Davuluri, an Indian-American, recently won the Miss America pageant.  Many viewers were not pleased with her victory.  People said she shouldn’t have won because she “isn’t American,” and that her heritage might even link her to terrorists.

            Although these racist comments are foolish, the whole situation has made me ask why we have the Miss America pageant at all.  How can we choose one person to represent our entire nation, when it is a nation of so many cultures and races?  Our diversity is what makes us strong, and it is impossible to say one woman represents that more than another woman.
            What is the beauty that we are celebrating?  Are we celebrating diversity, or did this contest reveal that people fear diversity?  And what makes a person an ideal American, the perfect “girl next door?”  Personally, I don’t think this contest is a healthy way to answer these questions, but I would like to know what others think.”

9 comments:

  1. I agree. All people have different personalities, and no one can say some personalities or look isn't a good thing. Also, since beauty can be thought in different ways I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some people can think like that. But in fact, I think Nina Davuluri is a very great person. She won from negative thinking!!! At first, she might unhappy because people had a negative thinking about her. But she tried and practiced very hard. And she won at Miss America!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I'm not very happy with these posts. I don't understand why the pageants are held, like everywhere and all the girls are that eager for the crown. What is so good to be judged by only how they look? The name "Miss America" which they will get is also not suitable. How does the individual appearance represent the nation? I strongly disagree with it.

    Diversity. Diversity only exists when we understand the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree. Some people were pleased with her victory. She is enough beautiful. But I'm against this contest. Beauty is good mind, not face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. All people have different personalities, and no one can say some personalities are better than others. Also, judging people by their look isn't a good thing. Also, since 'beauty' can be thought in different ways, it isn't the good idea to make those different thinkings into one. Therefore, I think that Miss America should not be done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't Miss America don't have to become pure American. In America there are lots of people. They have their own traditional culture plus they have different face. As America is diversity country, we have to protect their own things I think. Miss America should become a person someone who has beauty of health, not for their heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Absolutely! I don't think that Miss America should be a 'pure' American. Actually we think American is white skinned person but U.S.A. is composed of many heritages nowadays. We can't tell the exact definition of American. Nina Davuluri is living in America and that means she is American even though she wasn't born in U.S. And the reason why she won the pageant was that she was beautiful enough to win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that discrimination is not fair. Because people said she shouldn't have won because she "isn't American" and that her heritage might even link her to terrorists. The beauty that we are celebrating is good. You did this contest reveal that people fear diversity. I want racist discrimination will be disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this post is good. It say bad things about racist comments and also give some questions that the contest ask about are not healthy way.

    ReplyDelete